Thursday, December 17, 2009

PSA: "Buzzed" Driving



I'm not much of a drinker but I do like to indulge myself with an occasional cocktail in a social setting - especially around the holidays. Thankfully, I am playing the part of "hostess with the most-ess" this year and will be avoiding the roads but many families will be traveling for parties and fellowship this Christmas.

Did you know that last year, nearly 12,000 people in the U.S. were killed in alcohol-related driving crashes, with 316 people killed during the period between Christmas and New Years? In 2007, 162,493 women were arrested for DUI, an increase of 29% since 1998. These numbers are astounding. You can't help but wonder how many lives could have been saved had these people thought twice before getting behind the wheel.

With the holidays just one week away, I want to remind my readers of the dangers of "buzzed" driving. While you're having fun at events, it is so easy to lose track of your alcohol intake. As you chat and eat, you can forget how much you've really imbibed or how much "just one more drink" can really affect you. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) and the Ad Council are asking everyone to drive smart this season and pledge not to drive buzzed. Visit the Buzzed Driving website to pledge your commitment, play an interactive game which demonstrates the difference between "buzzed" and drunk, or hear personal accounts from those who have driven while buzzed. You can also follow Buzzed Driving on Twitter or Facebook to stay on top of the latest updates and news.

I'll be taking the pledge. Will you take it with me? Just think...in signing our names, we could help safe a life.

Please, please, PLEASE have a safe, happy holiday and remember that "buzzed" driving IS drunk driving. If you plan on drinking, don't endanger yourself and others. Play it smart. Assign yourself a designated driver, have a local taxi cab company's phone number handy or make plans to stay the night with family or friends.

Disclaimer: I was invited to post about this campaign due to my membership at Global Influence, formerly Momfluence. I was not compensated for this post but I will be entered in a contest to win a $50 gift card in return for writing about this topic.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin