Wednesday, May 19, 2010
If you have a toddler or preschooler, odds are they've caught an episode (or two...or three) of Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!. This Emmy Award-winning show from Nick Jr. has been a hit since its debut in 2006, with its quirky, fun-loving, bendy-tailed character Wubbzy and his friends Daizy, Widget and Walden. Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! supports preschool social skills such as sharing, listening, compromising, helping and appreciating others, self-awareness and the use of humor as a coping mechanism. Children learn how to fit into a group, how to understand their own feelings and those of others, and how to get along with one another. Most of all, they learn the value of friendship and community.
In his newest "din-amic" adventure, Escape From Dino Island, Wubbzy and friends embark on a prehistoric quest, and there's no telling who they will meet along the way! In seven fun-filled episodes, our favorite Wuzzleburg pals learn important life lessons about honesty, sharing, friendship and being prepared.
1. "Escape From Dino Island" - Wubbzy, Widget and Walden take a voyage to Dino Island. But when Wubbzy ignores Walden's advice to not get too close to the dinosaurs, they find themselves being chased by a giant Sillysaurus! Will they be able to escape his wrath?
2. "Too Much of a Doodle Thing" - Wubbzy can't get enough of those sweet, tasty Doodleberries. The only problem is they are hard to find! He decides to grow some with the aid of Daizy's Magic Grow Spray. But when he goes overboard, the Doodleberry bushes grow out of control and take over the town! How will they get rid of all the berries and restore peace to Wuzzleburg?
3. "Wubbzy, The Hero" - After his playtime game of chase with Chumley the Crusty Cragasaurus is misconstrued as a dino attack, Wubbzy is hailed as the town hero. Will he tell the truth or keep up the ruse to get praise and attention?
4. "Call of the Mild" - After Daizy's newly adopted baby unicorn goes missing, Wubbzy and friends decide to go on a safari to the Wuzzumbo Jungle to find her. Eager to begin the exciting adventure, Wubbzy leaves his gear behind. However, he quickly discovers it is best to always be prepared.
5. "Wubbzy and the Sparkle Stone" - While she plants her looney petunias, Daizy asks Wubbzy to hold onto her sparkly, glow-in-the-dark ring. After accidentally dropping it in a hole, Widget and Walden come to his rescue to find the shiny bauble.
6. "Daizy's Purple Thumb" - When the Mayor needs to plant a community garden , he recruits the best gardener in town - Daizy! But when she suddenly loses her "green thumb", she and her friends must find another way to complete the task.
7. "Mt. Fizzy Pop" - After some mysterious rumbling and shaking, Wubbzy and friends discover Mt. Fizzy Pop on Dino Island is about to erupt! The last time this happened, Wuzzleburg was covered in sour milk for months. Will they be able to save the town from the same fate?
Bonus features on the DVD include a Dino Island photo gallery, coloring and activity sheets, sneak peeks and a bonus episode.
Anchor Bay Entertainment was kind enough to send me a screener copy of Escape From Dino Island to review.
This DVD is everything we've come to know and love about the Wubb Club. Adventures abound and there is plenty of singing and dancing to go around. Nate especially loved the title episode and laughed out loud when the giant Sillysaurus hopped after Wubbzy and scared a poodle, who was innocently out for a walk. As a parent, I really like the lessons that we learn through Wubbzy such as to take responsibility for your actions, work as a team and not to judge a book by its cover. Even though Wubbzy always somehow manages to get himself into a pickle, he and his friends are able to practice their problem-solving skills to get through it.
Bottom line: No doubt about it. Your child will definitely "dig" this "dino-mite" Wubbzy excursion.
BUY IT: You can purchase Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! Escape From Dino Island at most major movie retailers nationwide or online at Amazon.com (ARV $16.98).
DELECTABLE DEAL: From June through December 2010, customers who purchase one box of Minute Rice and any Wubbzy DVD can receive a free Wubbzy toy (nominal S&H applies). Also, from May through September 2010, consumers who purchase a Wubbzy DVD and any package of Joy Cone Company ice cream cones can receive two Wubbzy Scholastic books - a $10 value ($2 S&H applies)!
WIN IT: One lucky reader is going to win a copy of Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! Escape From Dino Island!
MAIN COURSE (MANDATORY ENTRY): Tell me another TV show that your child enjoys. Remember to please leave your email address in your comment if it isn't visible on your profile to prevent disqualification!
SUGAR ON TOP (BONUS ENTRIES): To maximize your chances of winning, you may do any or all of the following. Be sure to complete the above mandatory entry or your bonus entries will not count!
1.) Follow my blog and/or subscribe via reader or email. Comment telling me which method you chose. If you already follow or subscribe, that counts! (1 entry each)
2.) Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this contest. You can do this daily! You may use the following tweet or come up with one of your own:
#Win a Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! Escape From Dino Island DVD @kris10chumley and @AnchorBayDVD! Ends 6/3 http://bit.ly/b3Zm3k
Just leave me a comment with your tweet link. (1 entry per day max)
3.) Add my button to your site and comment with a link where I can find it. (1 entry)
Giveaway will end on June 3, 2010 at 11:59pm EST. Open to U.S. only. Winner will be chosen via Random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to congratulatory email or prize will be forfeited and another winner will be chosen.
Disclaimer: I received a screener copy of this DVD from Laura at Grand Communications to facilitate a candid review. I was in no other way compensated for this post. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are solely mine. Your experience may differ.