Getting older is a fact of life. We don't look forward to aging and many try to avoid it as much as possible. Hence why Botox and anti-aging/anti-wrinkle creams are so in demand. We're forever searching for that fountain of youth. Well, we may not be able to turn back the clock just yet but renowned physician and author Dr. William Sears (yes, from all those parenting books you've read!) proves its never too late to take charge of your health with his new book, Prime-Time Health: A Scientifically Proven Plan for Feeling Young and Living Longer.
Twelve years ago, Dr. Sears underwent surgery, chemotherapy and radiation for colon cancer. He realized that if he wanted to live long enough to attend his grandchildrens' weddings, he had to take control of his health. So, he created a comprehensive, scientific program for living a long, fit life - and guess what?! It worked! Now at the peak of his health, Dr. Sears shares his program in Prime-Time Health. This engaging and deeply informative book will motivate readers to make crucial behavior and lifestyle changes. Dr. Sears explores how to keep each bodily system healthy and delay typical age-related changes. Prime-Time Health is a practical program to help you live the best life possible - pain-free, disease-free, stress-free and medication-free.
Now, I am only in my late twenties so not quite in my "prime". However, I knew I could learn a thing or two to prepare for those later years. I also thought I could pass some of that information onto my parents, who have both begun experiencing aches, pains and normal age-related discomforts. And, of course, being a fan of Dr. Sears from his baby and parenting books and columns, I graciously accepted the review opportunity.
Prime-Time Health is divided into six parts:
(1) Are You Ready for Prime Time? - Dr. Sears encourages readers to make healthy a hobby. He discusses the benefits of his plan, including leaner body, better breathing and smoother skin. He also shares secrets of centenarians, or people who live to at least 100 years old.
(2) Keeping Your Body At Its Prime - He walks you through each major organ in the body (heart, brain, gut, eyes, ears, lungs, teeth/gums, bones, joints, skin) and gives advice on how to keep them healthy.
(3) Prime-Time Well-Being - Dr. Sears reveals his 16 "superfoods" and other nutrient-rich foods to incorporate into your diet. In addition to nutrition, he discusses the importance of sleep, how to reduce stress, and how to improve your sex life as you age.
(4) Prime-Time Health Care - He shares his "pills and skills" model to give readers the self-help skills they need to prevent illness. He also tells you how to rid your body of inflammation, cut your risk of cancer and lower your blood pressure, cholesterol and/or blood sugar.
(5) Prime-Time Fitness - Dr. Sears gives his readers diet and fitness advice and shares safe walking and strength-building exercises. He also gives tips for protecting yourself from falls.
(6) The Prime-Time Plan - His 8-week plan in action
When I first saw the book at 400+ pages, I thought there was no way I would be able to make it through. But I found Prime-Time Health surprisingly easy to read and navigate. The sections were broken down in such a way that you could find exactly what parts you needed and skip what may not apply to you. I thought the writing was engaging and interesting - not boring at all. Much of the advice seemed like common sense but Dr. Sears backs it up with scientific evidence and his own personal experiences to deliver a comprehensive guide to aging and health.
Bottom line: I would highly recommend Prime-Time Health for anyone aged 45 or over, particularly the baby boomer generation. Dr. Sears' program seems simple and effective enough to keep your golden years golden.
BUY IT: You can purchase Prime-Time Health from most major book retailers and online at Amazon.com (ARV $17.15).
WIN IT: I've decided to give away my review copy to one lucky reader! YAY! (Note: The book has been read by me but is in near perfect condition.)
MAIN COURSE (MANDATORY ENTRY): Tell me about your #1 health concern. Remember to please leave your email address in your comment if it isn't visible on your profile to prevent disqualification!
SUGAR ON TOP (BONUS ENTRIES): To maximize your chances of winning, you may do any or all of the following. Be sure to complete the above mandatory entry or your bonus entries will not count! Remember to leave one comment per entry.
1.) Follow my blog and/or subscribe via reader or email. If you already follow and/or subscribe, that counts! (1 entry each)
2.) Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this contest. Just leave a comment with your tweet link. (1 entry)
3.) Add my blog button and leave a comment with the link to where I can find it. (1 entry)
Giveaway will end on April 20, 2010 at 11:59pm EST. Open to U.S. only. Winners will be chosen via Random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to congratulatory email or prize will be forfeited and another winner will be chosen.
Disclaimer: This review was made possible by The Product Review Place. I received a free copy of this book from Anna at Hachette Book Group to facilitate my honest review. I was not compensated in any other way for this post.