Friday, January 15, 2010

New Year, New Me: The New Workout Plan



So, we're 2 weeks into 2010 and I'm laying the foundation to reach my fitness goals successfully. I've come up with my official new workout plan to tone up my leftover baby belly flab and shed these last 5-10 stubborn pounds.

I'm practicing what I'm preaching by starting small, with a 4x/week workout schedule. I can modify these workouts to make them more or less challenging, as needed. Without further ado, here is my anticipated weekly routine:

Monday : Hi-Lo Step Aerobics

Using a 6" riser, I will alternate low and high-impact aerobic exercises. This means I will start with one foot on the ground at all times (low-impact) and gradually work my way to more complex moves involving jumping or running (high-impact). My goal is to have a 10 minute warm-up period with stretching, 30-40 minutes of step, followed by a 10 minute cool down period.


Tuesday: RECOVERY/BREAK DAY! I will try not to eat a carton of ice cream that will undo all my hard work from the prior day. Instead of working out, I will use this time to plan our weekly menu, including at least one new healthy recipe.

Wednesday: Core and Strength Training

I will devote my time to toning up my "problem" areas and replacing fat with muscle. To strengthen my core stomach muscles, I will do 5 reps of ten crunches, focusing on my abs and obliques. I can increase my range of motion and better my workout by using a stability ball. To target my thighs and buttocks, I will perform 5 sets of 10 squats, using a 5 lb. bar or dumbbells. Same for lunges, but alternating legs. To increase my arm strength, I will use the dumbbells for bicep and tricep curls - 3 sets of 10 reps for each arm. I can also combine these with any of my other workout routines for an interval or circuit program.

Thursday: RECOVERY/BREAK DAY! I will use my time today to journal or blog my progress, so that I may stay motivated. I will also research more creative methods to spice up my fitness routines.

Friday: Bike or Jogging

Depending on the weather conditions, I will dedicate at least 30 minutes on Fridays to the exercise bike or to jogging outside with Nate in his jogging stroller. I would like to invest in a pedometer so I can keep track of how many miles we travel. I would also like to get some Sketchers Shape-Ups, Reebok Easytones or Earth Footwear ExerWalks to get the most out of my walking and jogging.

Saturday: RECOVERY/BREAK DAY! Saturday will be my cleaning and errand day. A clean house and clear schedule make for a happy mommy! Our Saturdays are always rather busy so I'm sure I can squeeze in some walking or other minor exercise without even realizing it.

Sunday: Yoga

Since Sunday is typically a day for relaxation, I will use this as a period of reflection and introspection as I learn and practice Yoga. As a beginner, I will likely start with a gentler approach such as Hatha or Vinyasa styles of Yoga. I will research breathing techniques and not only use them in conjunction with various postures but will use them to meditate and clear my mind. My goal will be to increase my flexibility and endurance, while tending to my spiritual health.

The poses I will choose will vary based on anatomical focus. In particular, I will be focusing on my abdominals and buttocks. However, since my husband and I are trying to conceive our second bundle of joy, I would also like to pay special attention to my reproductive organs, such as my ovaries and uterus.

Believe it or not, I'm very excited to get started! I can't wait to get back on track to a healthier me! What do you think about my plan? Too aggressive? Too lame? I could use the feedback. And while you're at it, tell me about your weekly fitness routine. What are your favorite exercises?

Photo Credits: Weight Loss Pear (Photobucket), Step Aerobics (Photobucket), Crunches (Photobucket), Jogging (Photobucket), Yoga (Photobucket)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin